Monday 30 April 2007

Dare #7

Inspired by Fashion

This week we kicked off a series of 'Inspired by...' theme. For our first theme, we are going to be inspired by fashion trends. How often do we see a fashion style and wonder how this could be translated onto paper. We have challenge the Dare Gals to be inspired by a fashion item and they have to take a photo to prove it and show us their creation.

We take this opportunity to extend a warm welcome to Michelle Vass, our Guest Designer. Here's what she has to say:

I am Michelle, a Singaporean and have lived in Melbourne, Australia, for 8 years now. I'm married to Peter, a Greek Australian and we have 2 children together, Ellen and Phaedon. I started scrapbooking 1.5 years ago when I noticed that I have too many photos in my hard disc and no one gets to see them. So rather than putting them in an album, I decided to do something nice with them. It soon went from a hobby to an obsession. And when I found out that fellow Singaporeans are also getting into the craft, I was so thrilled. At least I know that whenever I come back to visit, I won't be having withdrawal symptoms!!!

My scrapping style is predominantly linear and geometric (forgot the existence of this word and have just picked it up again from the previous Asian Dare Sponsor, Kristy! LOL), with quite a bit of lumpy bumpy details. I have patience when it comes to this craft, so you'll often see me cutting up flowers or patterns from patterned papers. I have an obsession with inking or outlining almost everything I put on my pages, to make them stand out. I don't have a favourite colour because I can work with anything apart from purple/lilac.

For this layout, I was inspired by a rather trendy-looking scrapbooking apron complimentary from Fiskars. I absolutely love this colour combination of blue and orange. Plus I just can't go pass the swirls.

Here's Michelle's interpretation:

You can find our more about Michelle or see her work on her blog.


Here's what the Dare Gals have come up with:

Audrey: I was inspired by the buttons on the jacket and decided to make use of them in my LO.

*******************

Edleen: I was inspired by my t-shirt's pretty flourishes. As it's only on one side of the t-shirt, it looks like a wing to me so it occured to me to have wings on my LO.

*********************

Karen: I was inspired by the colours and the ornate gothic-ness of the dress.

******************

Joanne: I was inspired by the print of the shirt. I used only ribbons and lace in my LO. The stitches mimic the trim of the shirt too.


*****************

Michelle: This is a picture of a t-shirt that I'd bought once when I was feeling down. The words "Don't Bother" encouraged me not to let what other people think of me affect how I feel about myself, so long as I am true to what I believe in. The journaling in my layout reflects exactly those sentiments, that I should never forget who I am and to always stay real.



2 comments:

melita said...

How cool! An Asian scrapbooking site! Love it! Is there still time to do this dare? Do I need to take a picture of the fashion trend that inspires me and then post the LO?

The Scrapper's Loft said...

There's still time to do the LO. The next one comes out on the 16th. As for photo, you don't need to, just let us know what you were inspired by. Have fun

 
-->