Wednesday 28 February 2007

Dare #3

"A civilization is a heritage of beliefs, customs, and knowledge slowly accumulated in the course of centuries." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (French Pilot, Writer and Author of 'The Little Prince', 1900-1944)

What is the slice of civilisation that is you, which you will leave behind for the next century? What are you an accumulation of? In other words, who are you?

The Asian Dares challenges you to to leave your mark on our heritage trail.

Do you dare?


We are priviledged to have Caroline Lau from Maya Road as our first Guest Designer. Here's what she has to say:

Hello, I am Caroline Lau, the Managing Partner at Maya Road. My sister and I started MR about 3.5 years ago after deciding that there was a need for the products we wanted to see in the market. In 2005, I quit my job as a Chemical Engineer to work on MR full time and this truly has been and is my dream job.

I have been married to my DH, David, for almost 6.5 years now and we just had our first baby boy, Noah, last year. In my spare time, I love to run, play soccer, hang out with baby Noah, travel and try to keep up with my DH on learning Chinese (he is taking his first chinese classes now).

I am so honored to be a guest designer for the Asian Dares. I love the concept it presents and the respresentation on the diversity of the Asian heritage near and far.

Peace, Caroline

You can find out more about Caroline from her blog. Here's her take on the theme:


Here's the gorgeous work from the Asian Dare Gals, together with a brief bio of themselves. They haven't properly introduce themselves so here goes:

Audrey

I came across scrapbooking via cardmaking in 2004. I attended my first class and became hooked instantly. I realised that it was something I used to do years ago, as I would keep a vacation journal and collected souvenir bits and later decorate an album with what I’ve written and collected. It was good to rediscover scrapbooking in a new light and with archival materials too. Over the last year, I’ve taken it more seriously and have been published in scrapping magazines and am also on the design teams of several companies. I love scrapbooking for the freedom it gives me to explore and experiment with new trends and ideas. I love the fact that there is no limit or restriction to what you can create. I certainly look forward to many more years of creative expression!


Edleen

I'm a SAHM to 4 wonderful Kids and have been married to a really great guy for 14 years. If scrapbooking with acid free stuff existed when I was a teen, then I'd say I've been scrapping since then. But I began in November 2005 with acid free products after being inspired by many layouts and projects that I've seen. In September 2006 I applied to be on a DT for the first time and I am proud to say I'm their first International Designer from Singapore at about.com:Scrapbooking. I truly enjoy this hobby and am very honoured to be part of the first Asian Dare Design Team in Singapore.


Sharon

Hi, I'm Sharon, and I absolutely love Scrapbooking. Getting into the Asian Dares Team has been great fun and really challenging from Dare No 1. The mad scramble to meet deadlines, mad but fun.
I started this really addictive hobby a couple of years ago and I have found a side of me I have never found before, the creative artistic side, a side which my art teacher in school would have been proud of. Scrapbooking has really widened my perspective on things and I now try to see things in a different perspective either thru my the lens of my camera or trying to tell a story with my layouts. I love trying out different new techniques and is absolutely in love with playing with colors at the moment.
This is going to be a great time for Asian Scrapbooking and the Asian Dares .. come join us on this exciting journey. I dare .. do you ?


Joanne

My name is Joanne. I come across this term "Scrapbooking" from a parenting forum. I'm like any non-scrapper, thinking it is just a nice way of arranging photos and pretty papers, until I really learn what is scrapbooking about in Nov 2005. I love the idea of keeping all my memories in a form of photos and journaling and this will be passed down generation to generation.
Along the way of scrapbooking journey, I find that it is not only memories keepers but it unleashed the creative side of me, which I never know it exist in the first place. I used to curse and swear during my Arts Class in the school day and I would never imagine that I'll be in a "Art" related design teams years down the road.
Asian Dare is the first steps out of my comfort arena and I'm really glad I am part of it.


Karen.
Hi, I'm Karen. Scrapbooking has become a big part of my life: Everything goes through the "I need to take a
photo" process and "Can I scrapbook this" checklist. I'm the one behind the camera and writing the stories.That's the way I like it.

Michelle
Hullo! My name is Michelle and I come from the sunny island of Singapore. Artsy-crafty stuff has always been a keen interest of mine, hence it was only natural for me to pick up scrapbooking after chancing upon a LSS in June 2006. Til date, I have been scrapping for about 8 months and so far, loving every single bit of it. I do believe scrapbooking will be something that will remain with me throughout my life as it is such a personal hobby, allowing me to not only express my creativity but more importantly, capture my emotions and memories.

9 comments:

Shirley said...

How COOL! Looking foward to seeing more fantastic stuff!

Anonymous said...

Great gorgeous LOs, DDT!!

Joyce(IJJ)

Anonymous said...

awesome! i love to see us asians really representing!!! rock on!!!

gilaswan said...

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

CHW said...

I'm new and I'm excited to have found this site...
When is the deadline for this dare?
I'm from the US, can I still participate? (I could provide you with an address in an Asian country...would that work?)

Thanks
CHW

gilaswan said...

CHW, the dares are not restricted to only those living in Asia. ANYONE can participate, so please do! :D Looking forward to seeing your layout, and join us on www.thescrappersloft.com!

Irene Tan aka Scrapperlicious said...

Hi,
Sorry to post here.
I'm introduced here by Audrey. I believed she is one of the blogger here. I don't exactly understand, how this blog works. I need to be explained about it. However, to understand about me, please visit my blog at http://scrapperlicious.blogspot.com

mich said...

All these wonderful layouts have just BLOWN ME AWAY!!! They are ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them all!

Anonymous said...

Can I upstanding sway what a contrast to lay one's hands on someone who indeed knows what theyre talking nearby on the internet. You certainly recollect how to bring an get out to enlightenment and make it important. More people need to read this and view this side of the story. I slang put one's trust in youre not more in fashion because you plainly procure the gift.

 
-->